The Appearance tab of the Preferences dialog allows you to change the configuration settings which affect appearance within the user interface, you can change the following areas:
- Language: This allows you to set the language of the user interface to your preferred language. By default HIARCS Chess Explorer You can set the language used by HIARCS Chess Explorer. You should not normally need to use this as the default OS language is used in HIARCS Chess Explorer. You can change this to English (UK), English(USA), French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian or Spanish.
- Guess move provides automatic intelligent guess moves for pieces during game entry and guidance during game play. It highlights the quality of moves of any piece you select and gives the most likely move by a single click. This can be a very powerful aid but if you prefer not to receive this assistance you can turn off the move guesses or just have them on in analysis. You can set this to the following options:
- Never - guess moves are turned off in all modes
- Only in analysis - guess moves are only provided in analysis (database) mode
- Always - guess moves are available in analysis and play mode
- The Sounds option allows you to set when sounds are used for moves. It has the following options:
- No sound - sounds are turned off
- For computer moves - move sounds will be emitted for computer moves in play mode
- For all new moves - move sounds will be emitted for all new moves made in play and database/analysis mode
- For all moves - move sounds are emitted for all moves in all modes
- Replay game delay is the pause between moves as a game is replayed.
- Replay animation allows you to configure the speed of the move animation from slow to fast.
- Piece format allow you to configure the piece characters or figurines displayed in the game notation. The standard format is the PGN notation of PNBRQK, the figurines are language independent and the language specific ones are adapted to the language used. Please note when analysis is copied from the Analysis Explorer it is always copied with Piece letters to avoid font issues when pasting analysis lines in other software.
- Game font allows you to set the display font shown in the Game notation and Analysis Explorer to be configured. The fonts for the game list and opening explorer move list is displayed using the default font size set in the OS preferences.
- Print font allows you to set the font used in printouts.
- Colours allows you to configure the colours used for comments, variations, evaluation symbols and the background.
Clicking the Apply button will apply the current settings but keeps the dialog open. Clicking the Cancel button will cancel any changes since the last apply and exit the dialog. Finally click the OK button to apply the current settings and exit the dialog back to the main display.
You can set the language used by HIARCS Chess Explorer. You should not normally need to use this as the default OS language is used in HIARCS Chess Explorer when it starts.