There are many ways in HIARCS Chess Explorer to find games in an open database:
- Select the Search header toolbar icon or Search->Header menu item to access the Search header dialog to search the database for games matching game header criteria, e.g. players, event, rating, dates etc, etc. Please see the Search header section for more details.
- Open the Game Explorer pane and use the Quick search field for fast searching.
- Open the Opening Explorer and use the Source: Database and Show games button to show all games matching the current poition
- Open the Player Explorer and find games of a particular player
- Use the Search->Position menu item to open the Search for position dialog to find the games containing a position you are interested in.
When you first open a database the current filter is set to the whole database. When you search for games the result is normally a subset of the games and this subset is the current game filter.
Every time you search for games it creates a new filter of games. Using the Header search it is possible to add to the current filter of games.